There are many varieties of Greek Salads. This recipe is for the traditional Greek Salad. Even though Greece lacks a lot of space for agriculture because of the mountainous terrain, the one thing Greeks are known for growing out their tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and oregano. In addition, they grow their own olives from which they make their fresh and beautiful olive oil. Olive oil has many health benefits and in a Greek home it is a staple that is always in supply. Furthermore, the Greeks, both in Greece and stateside, make their own cheeses using fresh sheep’s or goat’s milk. Often times, you see generations working together to cultivate these ingredients and living off the land.
Today, we have supermarkets and Greek Specialty stores where we can find our fresh ingredients and create this beautiful salad, that is delicious and healthy. I challenge you to take that fresh bread and dip in the juices at the bottom of the dish, its the best part of the salad.
Authentic Greek Salad
- 2 whole Vine Ripe or Garden Fresh Cherry Tomato Cut Into Quarters
- 1 whole Cucumber Peeled Cut Into Half Moons
- 1 whole Green Peppers Cut into Julienne
- 1 whole Red Pepper Cut into Julienne
- 6 whole Pepperoncini
- 1 tbsp Capers Optional
- 1 whole Red Onion Thinly Sliced Julienne
- 8-10 whole Kalamata Jumbo Olives Pitted
- 8 ounces Feta Cheese Cubed or Crumbled
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar Aged Preferred
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 3 ounces Feta Cheese Crumbled
- Gather and wash all ingredients thoroughly.
- Add your olive oil, blended oil and vinegar into a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano to mixture and whisk together well and set aside.
- Cut your tomato of choice into quarters or halves and place into the bowl.
- Peel cucumber either in strips to remove some skin or peel off all of the skin. Cut your cucumber down the middle and then cut into half moons and place in your bowl.
- Peel your onion and cut in half. Cut you onion into strips make julienne cuts and place in your bowl.
- Core your peppers and remove the seeds.
- Once cleaned, cut into Julienne strips.
- Cut scallions into fine slices on the bias.
- Using the dill tips give dill a quick, rough chop.
- Add pepperoncini, olives, capers and feta.
- Once you have all you cleaned and vibrant vegetables into the bowl, add the oil , vinegar mixture to salad.
- Mix well and serve when ready.