A Twist on Greek Spinach Pie
Spinach Pie or Spanakopita (σπανακόπιτα) is a Greek Appetizer that is made by folding phyllo dough stuffed with a spinach and feta mixture into triangles and baked in a moderate oven. In this recipe, we add an exciting twist where Greece meets China. At My Prep Table, we fuse the spinach pie filling with dumpling dough to create a delectable Spinach Pie Dumpling that can be fried or steamed.
Our spinach pie filling is made using leeks, onion, ricotta cheese, egg, cottage cheese and of course feta cheese. MPT hint: If you are going to a Greek Specialty store ask them for the feta crumbles from the barrel. They will offer a lot of flavor to your spinach pie.
The key to making this simple dough is three ingredients: flour, water and salt. Using a mixing bowl you mix your dry ingredients and make a hole in center of the flour and then add water. Using a rubber spatula you mix the ingredients together. For a quick video tutorial click here.
Spinach Pie Dumplings Filling
- 12 ounce(s) Spinach
- 1 stalk Leek Washed, Small Dice
- ½ whole Spanish Onion Small Diced
- 2 tbsp(s) Ricotta Cheese
- 1 whole Egg
- 3 ounce(s) Cottage Cheese
- 3 ounce(s) Feta Cheese Crumble
- 1 tbsp(s) Chili Oil
- 1 To Taste Salt & Pepper
- 1 see How to Recipe
- Cut the leek into thin ¼ inch julienne thin strips.
- Wash leeks in cold water to remove particles.
- Small dice the onions.
- Rough chop the spinach.
- Place olive oil in skillet and add leeks, onions, garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add spinach and sauté until all ingredients are incorporated and place in a bowl.
- Add ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and crumbled feta. Add a whole egg, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Place in refrigerator for use.
- Using MPT dumpling dough recipe, begin to roll out into three inch dumpling doughs.
- Using a spoon, scoop about ½ tsp. of spinach pie mix into center of the dough.
- Fold dough in half, into a half moon shape, keeping the filling in the center.
- Begin folding out edges of the dough by crimping with two fingers until the entire dumpling filling is enclosed in center of dumpling. You may use a fork to help close out your edges.
- Lay the dumplings on a sheet pan and continue to make as many as needed.