Chicken Vegetable Avgolemono Soup
Chicken Vegetable Soup with Greek Traditional Flair
- 1 whole Chicken or 5 Chicken Thighs.
- 1 whole Spanish Onion Small Dice
- 4 stalk Celery Small Dice
- 3 whole Carrots Small Dice
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 whole Eggs Whole
- 3 whole Eggs Yolks Only
- 1 tbsp Chicken Base
- 1 cup Ditalini Pasta / Orzo / Long Grain Rice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Boil a whole chicken or chicken thighs for 25-30 minutes set aside.
- Heat the sauce in a second sauce pot with olive oil.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery, chicken base and garlic.
- Stir well cook until its translucent.
- Remove cooked chicken from sauce pot and pour through a strainer into the vegetable mixture.
- As you bring mixture to a boil, in separate bowl remove skin, bones and cartilage from your chicken.
- In a sauté pan, add ¼ butter and ¼ flour to make white roux. Please see our roux recipe located in the "How To" section of our website. Set aside.
- Once the soup reaches a boil, simmer and skim to remove the impurities.
- With a hand blender, puree the vegetables into the soup until its dissolved.
- Optional: You can strain out the pureed vegetables or leave them in the soup for added flavor.
- Place the chicken and choice of pasta into the soup pot and stir for approximately 3 minutes to ensure they don't stick to bottom of pan.
- As that soup simmers, in a bowl: place 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks and whip well adding 4 tbsp(s)of lemon juice to your egg mixture. Set aside.
- Add the freshly made roux into the soup pot.
- Next, temper the eggs in a bowl and pour them into the pot.
- For best result, season with salt & pepper to taste.
Avgolemono “αυγολέμονο” is a classic Greek soup. It get its smooth and thick consistency from the eggs. They are tempered by using the hot chicken broth and whisked into the soup just before serving. The best ingredient is the addition of the lemon juice. Shredded boneless, skinless chicken breast makes this soup hearty and healthy. A perfect soup on a cold, wintry night with a nice glass of white wine.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 208mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 318IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg