Why Spicy Tuna?
Spicy tuna [スパイシーマグロ] is a Japanese dish that is very versatile. It can be used as an appetizer or as an entrée. When I was studying culinary arts, I was introduced to a Japanese chef who taught me the art of creating sushi and sashimi. I was intrigued to learn from a master on how to best prepare tuna in a variety of ways. In Japanese cuisine, there is a disciplinary art in preparing fish for a meal. There is an art to preparing and cutting fish for sushi that all Japanese chefs must learn.
There is strict method to cutting fresh fish and a proper knife needs to be used to make precision cuts. This disciplined art was something inspiring to me that I spent much of my culinary career perfecting on. Through my teacher, I learned that I could cross utilize the tuna into various Asian dishes. The spicy tuna mixture can be created into a sushi roll using (Help support our site!)nori. This mixture could also be placed on a wonton crisp and used an appetizer. Lastly, you can just eat it as it is. It has become one of my favorite dishes to make and consume.
Preparing Your Tuna
This recipe is easy to prepare and can be made in 15 minutes if you have all the ingredients. You need sushi grade Tuna which you can find in most supermarkets. You need to have lemon, mayonnaise, siracha sauce, sesame oil, and scallions. In following our recipe, you will see it is easy to make. Once you prepare the spicy tuna you can place it over rice. In addition, you can use it to make sushi rolls. Lastly, you can use your delicious spicy Tuna in a poke bowl. Be creative and enjoy.
Deliciously Simple Spicy Tuna
- 8 ounce(s) Sashimi Tuna Small Dice
- 3 ounce(s) Mayonnaise Thick Preferred
- 3 ounce(s) Siracha Sauce
- 2 ounce(s) Sesame Oil Use vegetable oil, if you have a sesame allergy
- 1 ounce(s) Chili Oil
- ½ bunch Scallions Sliced Bias Thin
- 1 tbsp(s) Sesame Seeds (Optional if you have a allergy)
- ½ Lemon
- 1 tsp(s) Soy Sauce
- to taste Salt
- to taste Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Take your Sashimi Tuna place it on the cutting board.
- With your chef's knife begin to slice the tuna in strips but cut against the grain.
- Cut slices into julienne long thin strips. Then turn horizontal and dice into small pieces and set aside.
- Add all ingredients except the scallions in a bowl and whisk together well, creating a thin mayonnaise consistency.
- Fold in diced Sashimi Tuna add scallions and fold until all the tuna is coated.
- Place in the refrigerator until its ready for use.