Making this heavenly Greek Yogurt Parfait is great way to begin your day! A Greek breakfast food that is healthy and good for your. A great way to start your morning!!!
Fresh Greek yogurt that has been around for hundreds of years giving Greeks good health. In the past decade, you can find Greek yogurt at your local supermarket. Growing you in my Greek household my giagia (grandmother) and mom both made it fresh from goat’s milk. Greek yogurt is thicker than other types of yogurt. In addition, it is more solid because it is strained.
Greek yogurt is what you get when you take regular yogurt, place it in some fine mesh or cheese cloth, and allow some of the liquid in it—whey, to slowly drain out, resulting in a thicker yogurt with less moisture. This process changes the texture of the yogurt without removing the sourness that we affiliate with all yogurts. Most Greeks will eat Greek yogurt with some honey, nuts and fresh fruits for breakfast. They can eat it after dinner as a snack. Either way you can get creative!
When you travel to Greece you will see hotels that serve breakfast always have a yogurt bar set up for patrons to make their breakfast meal. My favorite is to add honey, wild cherries and walnuts. My partner’s favorite is adding visino glyko (sweet sour cherry preserves), some chopped almonds, drizzled with honey. Feel free to add chopped dried apricots, fresh blueberries, strawberries or bananas. There is no right or wrong way to eat Greek yogurt.Greek yogurt is also good to make vegetable dips or my famous tzatziki. (Check out our website for my recipe to this delicious dip for grilled meat.)
Greek Yogurt the Key to Good Health
- 3 Spoons
- (Help support our site!)Bowl
- 10 ounces Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp(s) Honey Greek imported preferred
- 2 tbsp(s) Candied Wild Cherries Greek imported preferred
- 2 tbsp(s) Walnuts Roughly chopped
- Gather all ingredients and place small bowl on table.
- Using four separate spoons, scoop about 8-10 ounces of Greek yogurt in a bowl.
- Using another spoon, scoop the honey and drizzle on the top of yogurt.
- Using another spoon, scoop wild cherries on top of honey.
- Lastly sprinkle or scoop your roughly chopped walnuts on top of the cherries.