Is it an appetizer or an entrée? The Maryland Style Lump Crab Cake is perfect for a summer meal. Even though you think this is a difficult dish to make however with our recipe you will see how easy it is to make this tasty treat that can be served as an appetizer or served as an entrée with a nice slaw or salad.
What is a crab cake?
In simple terms, a crab cake is a fish cake made out of crab meat that is popular in the United States. Crab cakes are a traditional food that can be found in the Chesapeake Bay region, Virginia, and famously Maryland. The MyPrepTable crab cake contains crab meat, fresh onion, parsley, garlic, green onions, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and mayonnaise. Once you cook your crab cake it can be served with French Fries, Cole Slaw, potato, or macaroni salad.
At MyPrepTable, we like to serve it with a Tropical Salsa, and Sriracha Mayonnaise for an extra spicy kick.
What is crab lump meat?
There are many different types of crab meat: jumbo lump, lump, backfin, and claw. At MyPrepTable, we like to use Jumbo Lump to make our crab cakes because it is the meatier part of the crab. The lump crab meat is the large pieces of meat from the muscle that connects the crab’s powerful back swimming legs. This is why it is the most expensive type of crabmeat.
You can find it in the seafood aisle in the supermarket either in a metal container or in a plastic tub, We prefer to find the one in a plastic tub because it is fresher which will add to the consistency of the crab cake. It’s very sturdy and is great served alone or for the top of dishes. This does not mean you can use lump meat however you want to make sure
Delicious Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
- 16 ounce(s) Jumbo Lump Crab Meat Can Use Smaller Grade
- 1 whole Onion Small Diced
- ½ whole Red Bell Pepper Small Diced
- 1 tbsp.(s) Garlic Minced
- 4 ounce(s) Mayonnaise Hellman's
- 1 tbsp.(s) Ballie French Smooth Mustard Optional other mustard
- 1 whole Lemon Juice
- 1 ounce(s) Worcestershire
- 2 whole Farm Fresh Eggs
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 cup(s) Panko Bread Crumb
- 1/2 bunch.(s) Parsley Thinly Chopped
- ½ bunch Green Onions
- 1 to taste Salt & Pepper
- 4 tbsp.(s) Olive Oil
- 1 whole Mango Avocado pineapple Salsa See Recipe
- 1 whole Sriracha Mayo See Recipe
- In a skillet sauté garlic, peppers and onions for about 5 minutes till translucent and set a side to cool.
- In a mixing bowl add mayonnaise, french mustard, lemon juice, worcestershire and egg. Using a whisk mix ingredients till combined.
- Add crab meat, green onions and the pepper-onion mixture to mixing bowl and fold in slowly try not to damage crab lump.
- Once combined, add panko bread crumbs to mixture till its an almost dry but wet consistency. (Add panko in batches not to over bread the mixture)
- Pre heat skillet, scoop and 4 ounces of crab mixture roll in a ball shape packing it slowly together. Place into skillet and push down with a rubber spatula to flatten the top to achieve the cake form.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes a side till golden brown.
- On a plate add mango avocado pineapple salsa place crab cake on each side of salsa. Add Sriracha mayo for a little kick.