Where do avocados come from?
The avocado is primarily grown in tropical and Mediterranean climates. Mexico is the leading exporter of avocados hence why it is prevalent in Latin and South American cuisine most dominantly guacamole. The Mediterranean diet also utilizes avocados. Depending on the varieties, avocados can have green, brown, purplish, or black skin when ripe. They may be pear-shaped, egg-shaped, or spherical. Avocados can be picked early and ripened after harvesting.
The best way to test if the avocado is ripe?
To know if an avocado is ripe, gently apply pressure and give it a squeeze. How do you cut an avocado? To cut an avocado, you need two tools: a chef’s knife and a cutting board. To cut the avocado, you need to cut it straight down the middle and give it a slight twist. Use your knife and tap the pit. Once your knife hits the pit, give it a small twist. The pit will come out.
Once cut, you should use the avocado immediately. The avocado flesh is prone to turning brown was exposed to air. To prevent this, you can squeeze a little lemon or lime juice, this should delay the browning. Here is a small tip, if you are not using the whole avocado do not remove the pit. The pit will prevent it from turning brown.
Avocado is not only used for guacamole and salsas. You can add it to a smoothie or cut it into a salad. Vegetarians often use it in their food because of its high fat content. Check out MyPrepTable for our recipes using avocados.
Now, let’s cut an avocado!
How to Cut an Avocado
- (Help support our site!)Chefs Knife
- 1 whole Avocado
- 1 pinch Salt Optional
- Gather your ingredients and lets bring it to the board.
- Using your chef's knife slice into the avocado at the halfway point. Make sure the knife hits the pit of the avocado and continue to slice in a circular motion using the pit as a guide.
- The two sides will separate easily while the pit stays on one side of avocado.
- Using the tip of your knife simply thrust knife into pit.
- Once knife is in pit just twist avocado and pull knife upward.
- Once pit is removed, place a spoon against inside the skin of avocado and push down in a circular motion and scoop out avocado.
- You should have a nice clean removal especially if avocado is perfectly ripe.*Quick Tip:To check for ripe ness simply squeeze against avocado, it should be a firm but soft to the touch.
- Feel free to slice it, dice it or simple eat it with a spoon. Sprinkle with some salt to really bring out that avocado flavor.