This is a basic all purpose tomato sauce. This can be used in hundreds of applications.
MyPrepTable’s Basic Tomato Sauce
Classic Italian Tomato Sauce made the MyPrepTable way.
- 56 ounce(s) High Quality Italian Whole Peeled Tomato usually found in 28 ounce cans
- 2 cup(s) 90/10 Blended Olive Oil
- 2 whole Vidalia Onion ½ pound in size peeled rough chop
- ¼ cup(s) Peeled Garlic whole
- 1 pound(s) Sweet Basil Leaves de-stemmed, leaves only
- 1 tsp(s) Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp(s) Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp(s) Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup(s) Water just enough to rinse out cans
- Heat your sauce pan with blended olive oil until your oil is hot.
- Add the onions and the garlic and sauté until they are translucent in color and begin to caramelize (getting slightly browned).
- Add 1 cup of water to the can and then add to sauce pot. (Swirl to get excess tomato juices out of the can.) This is added to the sauce pot in order to stop the cooking process. This way you won't over caramelize the onions and garlic. Burnt garlic gets bitter.
- Add the whole peeled tomato, salt, pepper and pepper flakes to the sauce pan and let simmer for 20-25 minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce the sauce bit to concentrate the flavors. Then shut off your heat when its done. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Immerse the hand mixer to the infused sauce and grind down the onions & garlic to a preferred consistency. There is no right or wrong here.
- Add chopped basil to sweeten your sauce.
This is a great all purpose (Mother) sauce that can be incorporated as a base to Vodka sauce and other recipes. Sweeten your sauce with chopped sweet basil. We at MyPrepTable do not add sugar to our tomato sauce. However, if that is something you and your family prefer, feel free to do so according to your taste. Feel free to send a message for custom recipes or if you have any questions.