One of the things that I like about Pico de Gallo is that it uses fresh ingredients that can be found in any season. Feel free to add mango or papaya for an added twist. Remember, cooking should be fun and you shouldn’t be scared to explore flavors in order to make it your own. Pico de Gallo can be served as an appetizer with tortilla chips. It can also be used as a side with a nice fish or grilled steak. As you explore with the ingredients, you will see that Pico de Gallo is not limited to be used with Mexican food.
Pico de Gallo
- 4 whole Vine Ripe Tomato small dice
- 1 whole Red Onion small dice
- 2 whole Ancho Chilis Up to your taste. seeded for less heat
- 1 tsp(s) Dried Chili Spice
- 1 tsp(s) Garlic minced
- 1 whole Lime juice
- ½ whole Lemon
- 2 tbsp(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Cilantro finely sliced
- 1 tsp(s) Coarse Salt Kosher or large flakey salt
- ½ tsp(s) Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Dice the tomato.
- Chop the onion, ancho chilis and garlic to a fine consistency.
- Finely chop the fresh cilantro stems and leaves.
- Juice the lemon and lime.
- Add all the chopped ingredients to a bowl and add all the dry spices, olive oil, lime juice, and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. It will taste even better if it can rest overnight.