How to Blanch Vegetables
Greens are an extremely healthy choice for a side dish. This recipe will teach you how to blanch vegetables in order to prepare them as a side dish or for an entrée.
- 1 gallon Water
- ½ cup(s) Salt
- 1 tbsp.(s) Chicken Base For Bitter Greens
- 1 bunch Broccoli Rabe
- 1 bunch Broccoli
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- Prepare all the greens that you want to blanch off and get ready for prep.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add about ½ cup of salt to water.
- For bitter green vegetables, feel free to add chicken stock to the water after you blanch regular vegetables first.
- This will take some of the bitterness away from the vegetables. Example: Broccoli Rabe
- Prep your vegetables to your desire taste. Photos attached are usually how to prep vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are prepared insert the basket into the water.
- Using a spider skimmer, dunk vegetables into salted boiling water and stir once or twice.
- Cook for 2 minutes and pull out the vegetables and set aside.
- Option #1, if you are using the vegetables for later usage, you can simply air cool till you need them for you r next step.
- Option #2 would be to ice bath the vegetables, to stop the cooking process for usage at a later time.
- Now that your vegetables are blanched you can use them in any other desired dish or simple in a sauté pan add oil and garlic and you have side dish of sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and oil.
Pre Blanching your vegetables is a way to ensure your vegetables are clean and adding the salt to water causes a chemical reaction in the greens to turn bright green making them look better in your dishes. Knowing that they are par cooked they will be able to cook faster in any meal your preparing as well as maintaining all the nutrients and flavors of the item you are using to incorporate in your dish. Feel free to send a message for custom recipes for your needs or questions.