This is a delicious dish for all, and it’s easy to make. Baked Feta Pasta is made with penne pasta, feta cheese, garlic cloves, tomatoes, basil leaves, and olive oil. This recipe will be loved by everyone who tries it!
The Baked Feta Craze
The baked-feta pasta that went viral on TikTok and other social media platforms had people all over the world obsessing over it and posting appetizing pictures of their creations. Cities across the US were seeing blocks of feta cheese fly off the shelves at supermarkets. Grocers did not know what was happening. Little did they know this viral phenomenon was going to reach over 86.7 million viewers across multiple social media platforms.
This dish is pitched as incredibly easy to make, with a gourmet look and taste. That is if you didn’t screw it up. At MyPrepTable, we added our own twist by infusing the Greek dish Yemista and creating our own version of Baked Feta Pasta.
Yemista (Greek stuffed tomatoes or peppers) is a famous Greek dish. So in looking at the videos, I decided to fuse the Yemista and Baked Feta Pasta. Our dish is still easy and guaranteed to be a pallet pleasure. Instead of placing the tomatoes in a pan with a block of feta, we use to scoop out the inside of a few tomatoes and add fresh basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. We add crumbled feta. You don’t need to use expensive feta, using domestic feta found in your local supermarket is good.
How to make your Baked Feta Pasta
We then bake it for about 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. After the tomatoes are cooked, put in a serving dish, add the pasta, smoosh the tomato and mix with the pasta. As you are mixing add a little bit of pasta water into the mixture and keep stirring. As you stir the pasta water will emulsify the oil and tomato water and make a light and delicious sauce. This is the secret to this type of dish.
If you want to see the original inspiration for this dish check out GrilledCheeseSocial. Her version is the original with cherry tomatoes. Our MyPrepTable version is a more tomatoey version of the original version of a Baked Feta Pasta. By baking the feta in the tomato you are getting more feta flavor incorporated into the tomato.
Either way, use the best and freshest produce you can find. If you need to save somewhere you can save some money by using a piece of cheaper (Help support our site!)feta cheese. If you have some extra feta cheese, don’t worry. There are other uses for it, like Tirokafteri.
Baked Feta Pasta
- Gather ingredients, place your sauce pot with water and salt on stove and bring to boil.
- Using a pairing knife, cut the tops off the tomato and set aside.
- Using a spoon scoop out the insides of the tomato into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
The Feta Stuffing
- Take out tomato inside and rough chop then place back into bowl.
- Crumble the feta into the mixing bowl with the tomato insides.
- Chiffonade the basil and add to feta with garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients well, then take a tomato and stuff it until the mixture reaches the top of the tomato. place onto the baking tray.
- Continue the last step until all the tomatoes are stuffed and all the mixture is used.
- Once tomatoes are stuffed and placed snug into the tray, drizzle about 2 cups olive oil, into the tray.
- Sprinkle grated cheese any extra basil ,salt, pepper, sugar and place the top back onto the tomato.
- Place into a 375° F oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on tomato size.What your looking for is a golden brown caramelized tomato.
- As tomatoes bake, in your sauce pot add fresh pasta of choice and cook to al dente.See How to Cook Pasta Recipe.
- Once complete use melted butter or olive oil and add pasta to coat to prevent sticking.
- Place the desired portion of pasta in a Pasta Bowl, remove your baked tomatoes and place one tomato over the pasta. Season with grated cheese, cracked black pepper and serve.
- Another option would be to smash and mix the tomatoes well into the pan and use the smashed tomatoes as a sauce. then pour over pasta.